Since Oona has taken work in Kansas City, I’ve been batching it. Soups are great for that. Especially this one, CALDO VERDE, a Portuguese kale & potato soup.
- 3/4 of a pound of potatoes, diced (you can peel them if you are fastidious)
- 1 onion, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1 tbs of olive oil
Heat oil in a heavy soup kettle, saute onion/shallot/garlic until translucent; add potatoes, adding
- 1.5 quarts of chicken or turkey stock
- some chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. Remove bay leaves; mash potatoes or liquify in a blendor.
Cut 1/3 of a pound of kale in a fine chiffonade and add this to the soup. Simmer for a bit and add salt & pepper to taste. Slices of fried chorizo may be added for a garnish.